A Week of Firsts

The great thing about this new journey for me is that I get a lot of "firsts".  No, they're not realfirst time experiences in the truest sense of the word, but on this journey to Maine they are firsts.  The coolest thing about these little milestones to me is watching the progress over time.  It's like when a runner starts out and every week they go a little farther or every race is a little faster even now that sense of accomplishment is incredible, it's a rush that definitely helps to fuel the fire.
On Tuesday August 22, 2017 I put my proverbial toe in the water, literally, to go for my first swim post surgery.  In the weeks leading up to surgery the pool became my stress relief, my happy place if you will.  It was the only exercise I was allowed to do and therefore I made it my mission to use that opportunity to get better.  On July 23rd, the day before surgery I was in the pool to swim a mile and now here I was a month later getting back in.  It wasn't a mile, but rather 300m of kicking drills and 150m of freestyle.  It's a start and I felt great when I was finished.
On Wednesday I met with my soon to be Triathlon coach, the one who will help me along on this crazy journey to get me to the starting line in Maine both prepared and healthy.  We spent a little over an hour talking about expectations on both sides, goals and why I was doing this.  We will begin formally working together in November, but is one piece of free advice was to start slow and trust the process in this recovery phase.
Finally today I went for my first real run!  It was supposed to be a short run with one of my Harrier teammates, but it turned into an impromptu Thursday morning group run with 4 of my teammates.  Their ridiculousl support throughout this has been incredible.  We started with a half mile walk before doing a one and a half mile run and a cool down walk.  As we started to run I realized that this was the first time that I had run since the Tenafly 5k race on June 4th.  That is the longest I have gone without running since I started back in February of 2013.
As I said, this was a week of firsts and the rush of those firsts is still just as powerful as they have always been.  I look forward to many more along this journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again

Green Light..........Yellow First though