Green Light..........Yellow First though

So, today was a big day for me.  Today was my post op visit with Dr. Sen at NYU just three and a half weeks after brain surgery number 2.
While I was definitely optimistic going into the appointment I would say cautiously optimistic might be a better description.
Thus far my recovery has been pretty uneventful.  No pain meds since 3 weeks ago, yes that's right, no pain meds since 3 days post surgery.  I was up and walking quickly while at the hospital and since returning home I have continued to walk, averaging between 4-5 miles a day.  Basically, I've done everything that I promised I would, most importantly I'd listen to my body and know when to back off.
Despite feeling great, there was always the possibility that I would be told that I still had to wait to get back to life as I knew it.
First, I was seen by Mary, the nurse practitioner, who looked at my incisions before removing the stitches from my head.  Step 1 ✅
Next Dr. Sen came in.  After going over his post op notes with me and explaining the challenges that this surgery presented it was my turn to start asking questions.
I started with the easy ones, when can I use Vitamin E on the scar, when can I bend over, when can I stop wearing the bandage on my head when I go outside, etc.....
Then with palms starting to sweat and butterflies taking flight in my stomach I moved on......When can I start running? Biking? Swimming?
As i sat with baited breath he spoke......you can start now.....IN MODERATION OF COURSE.
The words I waited three and a half weeks to hear....."you can start now".
And so, after a 20 minute visit with the greatest neurosurgeon in the world I was given the green light to start or should I say get back to training.
The road to Half Ironman Maine 2018 starts now.  I can't wait to share this journey with all of you.
This is just the beginning.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again