T1......The Evolution of a Triathlete

In 2014 just 2 years after the initial surgery I was informed that it looked like the cyst that they had "totally removed" was growing back.  This wasn't a complete shock given the nature of the cyst.  At that time Dr. Sen said that we would continue to do an annual MRI to monitor the growth and decide when and if a second surgery would be necessary.
2015's scan showed slight growth, but it was deemed inconsequential, marathon training was just getting underway and I was given the green light to continue training to take on the streets of NYC.
It was in the summer of 2016 that things changed.......
So, I am a founding member of the greatest running club in existence, The De Novo Harriers.  Hands down the most ridiculously supportive group of people you will ever meet.  Some might even describe them as "cult like" until they experience it for themselves and drink the proverbial Kool Aid.
In the summer of 2016 marathon training was in full swing, early morning long runs to beat the heat, going to bed early on a Saturday night so that I could wake up at 5:00AM to run 16, 18 or 20 miles.
It was also around this time that we had a new Harrier join us named Jenny.  Jenny was a triathlete and we became fast friends.  She mentioned in passing that after the marathon I should shift my focus and try challenging myself by doing a triathlon.  Now, I had become a runner at this point, I figured that I could get through the biking part, but the swimming......not so much.  So I told her that if she taught me not to drown then I'd give it a shot.
In late August of 2016 I attended the screening of an independent film called TRI with Jenny and my other runner turned triathlete friend Holly.  While corny in nature the film caught my attention and I decided that this was something I could definitely see myself doing.
So after finishing the marathon in November of 2016 and raising a great deal of money for pediatric oncology and The Jack Martin Fund I set my sights on Triathlon.
As a family we joined a gym with a pool so that I had access to learn how "not to drown", I began taking a spin class geared toward triathletes and continued to run.
In January of 2017 the gym hosted an indoor triathlon where each participant would swim for 10 minutes, bike for 30 and run for 20.  Let's just say I was hooked and hooked quickly.  Runners and the running community are supportive and a little crazy, but when I tell you that the Triathlon community is just as if not more supportive and even crazier it is not an exaggeration.
I joined the Ridgewood Triathlon Club and instantly had a new network of crazy supportive people in my life.
I was scheduled to compete in my first Sprint Triathlon on June 25th when I learned that the cyst had doubled in size since my last scan in November.
Always the negotiator I promised Dr Sen that I would shut down my training IF he promised that I could set a BIG GOALfor 2018.  Knowing better than to argue we agreed on Half Ironman Maine.
To date I have only done two indoor triathlons, but I consider myself a triathlete.  I look forward to this journey and being able to share it with everyone.
I go back to Dr Sen next week for my post op visit and will share with everyone what he says and what the next steps are...........to be continued....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again

Green Light..........Yellow First though