Slow and steady STINKS

We've all heard the saying, "you must crawl before you walk and walk before you run".  Now, to an infant or even a toddler this saying makes all the sense in the world,  to most people starting out in any new endeavor it makes sense.  However, for a Type A personality who enjoys instant gratification that saying STINKS!!!
The worst part about it is that it doesn't seem to apply to everything.  Last weekend was Labor Day so on Thursday to kick off the long weekend I took Jordan for a run.  Nothing too stressful, a few miles of run/walk(running for 2 minutes, walking for 1 minute).  We started with a walk to warm up and then we were off.  Almost immediately my heart rate was very high and I felt like the 2 minutes would never end.  To say I was relieved when my watch beeped indicating the first walk break would be an understatement.  A year ago I was running 20 miles as part of my marathon training and here a year later I'm sucking wind running for two minutes!!!!  I know, I know....I just had brain surgery and it's been months since I really ran, but it STINKS!
On Saturday we went to Long Island and we were at the driving range watching Jordan hit golf balls. He was doing great so I grabbed one of his clubs and started goofing around.  After a few "not bad" shots Lori suggested I go over to the Callaway rep who was there for a demo day and get a "grown up" club so I did.  Keep in mind that I haven't hit a golf ball in well over a year so there were no expectations at all.  I took a 7 iron, closed one eye and took a swing.....160 yards and straight.  This continued with a 3 wood and a driver as well.  It was as if I had played yesterday.
 I walked off the range feeling great, not great enough to go and buy new clubs, but confident.
After the range session I decided to take Jordan out to play nine holes on Tuesday.  Let's just say the range session didn't translate to tearing it up on the golf course, but deep down I knew it wouldn't.  A couple of good shots on the driving range doesn't necessarily equal a great round on the actual course.
I followed that with a twenty minute bike ride on the trainer in the garage and again felt good.
The confusing part to me and the thing that drives me crazy is that while swimming, biking and even golf seem to be coming back to me sort of quickly, running is not.
I know that this journey isn't a sprint and patience will be key as not all training sessions will be perfect, but I want it to come back quicker then it is.
I guess this Type A personality will just have to remember that patience is a virtu and slow and steady really does win the race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again

Green Light..........Yellow First though