Back to Reality

As the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end".  This Monday, September 25th marked my first day back at work.  Just 8 weeks removed from surgery it was time.  Some might think that I rushed back after brain surgery, but to be honest I was ready.  I was never the type to just sit around and binge watch television shows.  Believe it or not, sitting on the couch for 5-6 hours a day gets old real quick for someone who is used to being on the go all the time.
My recovery has had its phases.  First there was the hospital followed by coming home and laying relatively low for a few days.  Days filled with walks, and midday naps.  Then I got a little more freedom and was able to exercise in moderation, drive and I wasn't as fatigued.  Every phase made me a little stronger and after 8 weeks I was ready for some sense of normalcy.
On Monday morning I woke up, shaved and showered and in the infamous words of Barney Stinson I "suited up"!  It was a morning of mixed emotions.  On the one hand I was excited to go back to work, to doing what I love and seeing the agents that I work with.  On the other hand I was going to miss that extra time in the morning with Jordan and being able to go to the gym whenever I felt like it.
Needless to say I jumped in head first and headed out to Long Island to teach class and make my rounds to catch up with my agents.
The rest of the week was much of the same, catching up with managers and agents in other offices and starting to plan for a strong finish to the year.
The one thing that stands out from my week is a conversation I had with an agent in my Westchester office.  This particular agent is what I would consider a sage.  He is a fixture in the office and has always had inspirational and encouraging words for me.  He is also a deeply religious man.  Those of you that know me know that I am not particularly religious.
When I knocked on his door to say hello he nearly jumped out of his chair with excitement.  He told me that he'd been praying for me everyday and that he was beyond happy to see me back.
We then got to talking about Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year which was coming up this weekend.  Many think of this holiday as the day of Atonement, where we go to temple and ask g-d to forgive us for our sins.  However, this wise man had a different take.  He calls it the day of "At-One-Ment" meaning that we must be at peace with ourselves before we can be at peace with others.
This stuck with me as I walked out of his office and for the rest of the week.
So here we are, Friday afternoon at the end of my first week back.  It feels good to be back in my routine, back to doing what I love.  I am looking forward to a strong finish to the year, I am looking forward to getting that balance back between work, training and family time.  After all, that's when I am at my best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again

Green Light..........Yellow First though