Milestones

As I sit here on my couch with my legs elevated I have to take a look at where I’ve been and how far I’ve come.
A little over 7 months ago I underwent brain surgery #2 and it was right before that I told my surgeon that I needed a big goal to focus on.  I set my sights on Half Ironman Maine even though I had yet to do a triathlon of ANY distance.
Today, as I stare at my Garmin watch that tells me I am 176 days out from Maine I hit a major milestone in my training.
Earlier in the week I had my longest swim, 2300 yards.  Today though was a bigger one.  I rode 56.9 miles.  For those that don’t realize, the bike portion of a Half Ironman is, 56 miles and the swim is roughly 2300 yards.
That’s right, almost 6 months away from race day and I have swam and biked the distance that I will tackle when I race.
Now I am more than aware that I still have a long way to go, but something about seeing 56 miles on the monitor today was a huge boost mentally.
More importantly I made the miles count.  I rode as part of the St Jude’s Ride for a Reason that raises money for pediatric cancer.
Earlier this week Lori and I attended a ribbon cutting for a new in patient unit for pediatric oncology at Mount Sinai Hospital that was made possible by the hard work and continued support of the Jack Martin Fund.  The Jack Martin Fund is a charity that is near and dear to my heart, a charity that like St Jude’s does incredible work for children and their families at a very difficult time.  I look forward to once again completing an endurance event and making the Jack Martin Fund the beneficiary of my efforts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning....

Here we go......again

Green Light..........Yellow First though